Planning your next career move can be a real challenge and your decisions will depend on a range of factors, but here are some pointers to get you started:
- What are the biggest changes you want to make in your working life?
- What are your 2 and 5 year goals?
- What do you need to do to achieve these, eg study, gain more practical experience on the job, undertake in-house training and professional development?
- What are the things you like/don’t like about your current job?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?
- How quickly do you need/want this to happen? Quantify the timeline
- What hurdles or problems are preventing your career aspirations from coming true? List
- Identify actual titles of jobs you aspire to so you can then assess the competencies required
- Search job boards and pick out the top 3 roles you are most keen on. Look at your work experience to date and identify any areas where you do not meet their requirements. Plan how you might address these
- Finally, get a reality check by speaking with recruitment and HR professionals or people you trust who will give you honest feedback
For further assistance with planning your New Zealand-based career, consider our Career Exploration and Future Planning package with one of our qualified and experienced coaches.